MYRTLE VILLAGE GREEN BI-WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
Thank you to everyone who came out to celebrate our new community space and enjoyed a free outdoor screening of My Brooklyn on community land. It was a blast!
We also had a screening of EDIBLE CITY and REROOTING THE MOTOR CITY put together by 596 Acres and Paper Tiger. Great dissucssion followed on both screenings.
Here are some updates for October:
Feedback farms built ten community planters
A row of red russian kale was planted but what goes in the rest of the area is up for the community to decide. We have lots of options this time of year: beats, most salad greens, fava beans, garlic, radishes etc. Its up to you all what goes in but and feedback farms can provide seeds for most of what you might want to plant.
Mercy Home’s Plant-Grow-Give program approved:
The Mercy Home “Plant-Grow-Give” program is about people with developmental disabilities utilizing their skills and resources to plant vegetable gardens in their own backyards, collect the harvest, and then donate that food to underserved families in their community living in shelters or frequenting food pantries for their meals. What makes their program so unique and worthy of support is that the people doing the planting, growing, and giving are disabled adults who have historically been at the receiving end of donations.They will make a hoop house as well as six raised beds where they will plant radishes. The radishes will be pickled in time for the holidays. Depending on the size of the harvest, approximately 40% of these jars will be reserved to be distributed by our individuals to their friends at the shelters and pantries we have been feeding this year as holiday gifts, while the remainder will be given for free to community members at an event at Myrtle Village.
With the hoop house there is a goal of using 90% of the harvest to feed the hidden hungry in the surrounding community with the remaining 10% being used to feed our residents or for special events. Crops to be planted in the fall in raised beds will include a variety of fast growing winter and fall vegetables, primarily different types of greens.
Healthy Communities Fair on Sunday, October 28
Local businesses, organizations, and community members are invited to join in the planning for a fall Healthy Communities Fair! There will definitely be planting demos and a pumpkin patch, as well as opportunitis to learn about ways to keep yourself healthy in Brooklyn and make the most of your neighborhood. If you want to participate in the festival planning, contact Robyn Smith!
Upcoming proposals in the works
- Welcome Fence Transformation
- Install a bike rack inside the lot
- Installing bat house to address mosquito population
Upcoming final steering committee decision meeting
The steering committee that will guide the process of getting community input on programming and design for the space for the long term will be finalized at our next meeting date, October 9th. Be there to say you’d like to be a part of it! Or email Paula Segal.
SEE YOU IN THE GREEN!Some reminders:
Our calendar is online here:
Meeting minutes are online here:
All proposals are online here:
If you’d like to join in the discussion, please join our google group by emailing Cameron Hickey.