Gathering on newly built MVG benches, sixteen community members discussed progress to date on projects and new proposals, with a focus on activating the space and engaging community participation. Grateful thanks to Eric and Stephan and for crafting comfortable, salvaged-wood benches!
Cameron Hickey, Ben Nervius, Gregory Sogorka (Feedback Farms), Stephan Von Muehlen, Konstantin Prishep, Drew Kiriazides, Robyn Smith, Jerry, Barb McDonald, Eric Weil, Lodz Joseph, Paula Z. Segal, Jannette Young, Joseph Hare, Paula Crespo, Zack Joslow.
Agenda Items Completed:
1) Infrastructure – Cameron opened MVG bank account: $50 deposit made, $25 of which includes account opening fee, and reoccurring $3 monthly fee. MVG funds check from Paula to be deposited. ATM card forthcoming.
MVG Project Updates:
1) Infrastructure – Meeting RSVP need brought up and possibility of using RSVP function via Google Group Calendar Invite for meetings suggested. Parking lot items for group to think about: Structure of steering committee meetings, agenda items and how to facilitate more time for new proposal discussions. Agenda items were tabled at end of meeting due to setting sun and time. Question of rotating schedule of Steering Committee to accommodate folks who have standing Tuesday conflict. Group sentiment that transparency for participation is important. Recommendation that proposal template may be needed.
2) MVG “Shopping List” – Rainwater barrel and BBQ in place. Current list includes Google Group feedback (Cameron). Updated list with compost project from Stephan pending. Send any additions to Google Group. Discussion focused on finalizing list to begin outreach, including but not limited to Home Depot. Janette to bring ask to Home Depot manager on MVG letterhead, when list completed. Ikea and other sources to be contacted. Craigslist recommended as good source for free items. Discussed importance of creating site that is accessible, prioritize shopping list seating items that are functional for all. Weed whacker off list; DEP advocate for MVG indicated that DEP can coordinate future weed whacking if asked. Drew will set up meeting with DEP, when needed, but more importantly, to continue relationship with DEP. Group sentiment was that current long grass on lot was a welcome green, with no immediate need given ending of summer. Lodz reaching out to other community organizers in her network that work with other DEP sites, regarding possible resources for MVG(including rat-proof garbage cans.)
3) Event 9/22 Event is free and open to the community.
MVG community welcome. Start TBD – 7 p.m..
Screening of MY Brooklyn, hosted by 596 Acres.7 -9 p.m.
596 Acres film screening formal proposal (see doc for details ) discussed; Paula coordinating screening per the proposal and creating flyers for event. Ben and Jerry’s donated ice cream : )
MVG action items in progress include sound system (Ben might have ); audience chairs (Stephen and Jerry to coordinate with Father Louie); table for food (pending); electricity for projection and sound (Bell Car service confirmed will provide via extension cord); outreach and fence signage pending.
MVG community welcome exact timing to be confirmed (4 p.m. was referenced), goal is to open the space prior to screening to welcome the community to MVG. Food (for sale) will be available (Cameron) and funds will go to MVG. No other fundraising is planned, though My Brooklyn filmmakers are welcome to pass a donation hat during screening to support film funding. NEEDS A NAME. Current suggestions include :
MVG Welcome to the Green
Opening of the MVG
Celebrate Myrtle Village Green
Welcome to Your Myrtle Village Green
Any additions? Poll to go out to MVG Google Group prior to meeting to get additional suggestions and expedite process; name needed for fliers and any promotional outreach.
Upcoming Agenda Items:
Agenda items for next week based on discussion this week and agenda items from prior meetings:
- Shopping List donation outreach plan
- Action plan funding
- Meeting and Age Friendly Seating proposal
- Communication plan and cluster needed. Open, transparent community communications sentiment of group. Need to extend outreach beyond virtual channels and fence signage. (Libraries?) Updating MVG site and email newsletter (broader community, not on Google Group). Posting of minutes to MVG bulletin board. Fence signage.
- Sukkot Festival Proposal, pending submission of formal proposal.
- Reconnecting with schools.
- Relationship with Pratt Community Council not formalized; letter from PCC forthcoming.
- MVG waiver for volunteers (ongoing, new volunteers to sign).
- The Steering Committee is still open. If you want to be on it, just say so.
- Our regular Steering Committee meeting will be Tuesdays at the site (636 Myrtle Ave) at 6:30pm. The next one is September 4. Bring a blanket to sit on and share. See you there.
- Regular work/volunteer days are now Sundays at 10 a.m.(No specific projects are scheduled for this Sunday, September 2.) Mark your calendar.
- We are accepting donations of potted plants and other interim, portable things to improve the site with immediately. For all other donations and proposals, please bring your idea to a Steering Committee.